Thursday 30 September 2010

Tropical World in Leeds - Butterflies, Birds and Bearded Dragons!

If you ever find yourself in Leeds needing something to do, I recommend visiting Tropical World just on the outskirts of the city in Roundhay. It is right at the edge of Roundhay park which is absolutely beautiful and well worth a visit in itself! It is the best value for money attraction in Leeds (apart from the free museums and galleries of course!) at only £3.25 for an adult ticket and me and my friend Joanne (who I was showing the sights of Leeds for the day) spent over and hour in the butterfly house and miniature zoo. Here are some of my favourite photos from my visit...

The Butterfly section was absolutely boiling (Hence the "tropical" bit of Tropical world I guess!) but had some beautiful species of butterfly and moth fluttering around our heads. I managed to get a few photos of them as they settled on the flowers and hand rails.

This gorgeous little one's wings have seen better days...


Meerkat watch tower - this little fella had the duty of keeping a lookout while everyone else snoozed... someone got a bit of a bum deal!

All of the birds (like the butterflies) flew freely around the exhibits and as they were obviously very used to having humans around them they posed happily for my photos not in the least bit frightened.


A very sleepy and lazy iguana.

A very cute tree shrew.


Can you spot the stick insect? :)

1 comment:

Nic's Notebook said...

Oh I love places like these! There was a Buterfly House near where I lived in N.Ireland, I have a pic of me with a butterfly sitting on top of my hairband - I must only have been about 10!