Wednesday 29 September 2010

Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair - Leeds


I have been looking forward to Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair for quite a while because I visited the event last year in Leeds Student Union and I thoroughly enjoyed it and bagged myself some mega bargains - two gorgeous polka dot dresses for a fiver! But I hate to say it, as I'm usually 100% positive about most things I blog about, but I was completely disappointed... and I'll tell you why...

The Marvellous Tea Dance Co provided cupcakes this year, (four measely little stands) compared to the variety of hot drinks served in mismatched vintage cups and saucers, huge slices of delicious cakes and cupcakes from the year before. I had saved myself and skipped lunch so that I could enjoy a nice slice of cake and a sandwich and I was very disappointed that they had down-sized the cake stands - something that made it so special last year.


Although there were a couple of nice polka dot dresses that I spotted, they were few and far between and when I picked them up the price labels were £25+... now I don't know about you, but that doesn't really scream *affordable* to me. Especially considering the brilliant bargains I got last year from the £5 rails. The venue wasn't as good this year either. Last year it was in one of the downstairs bars complete with split levels and a disco ball, this year it was all squished into a hall and felt more like a jumble sale. I think if I hadn't of visited the same event the previous year I wouldn't have been so disappointed and would have enjoyed it more but unfortunately all I could do was compare the two...

One thing that was great was the range of quirky vintage accessories, jewellery and brooches. I loved the old keys - they would make brilliant customised pendant necklaces.





2 comments:

Nic's Notebook said...

This looks great, wish there was something like this near me!

Anonymous said...

Sadly due to restrictions applied by the venue we are unable to offer our full vintage tea room set up at this particular fair. We are sad about it too!
We cater at a lot of other events and are always clear on our website whether these are 'tea rooms' or 'cupcake stalls'.
Donna.
www.themarvellousteadancecompany.co.uk