Wednesday 1 September 2010

The Alternative Village Fete - Frozen Yoghurt, Music, Cupcakes and Creativity

Last weekend I attended the Alternative Village Fete on Southbank in London, a "sideways slant" on the traditional family day out. The programme for the weekend included performances by dancing troupes and live music, Morris dancing, make-do-and-mend, the British Gent stall, tea and cake, 20's style workouts, gentlemen's grooming and etiquette, hill billy barn dancing and yummy and scrummy treats! Everything a vintage-loving lady or gent could possibly need!


There were come gorgeous knitted (and polka dotted) things for sale on the many stalls.

Love this cute little mini tea set!

All over the square that the event was held in there were people getting creative with needle and thread, material, buttons and bows! I loved how everyone got really involved with all the creative activities.

The Pictotronic was a huge cardboard box that "magically" drew pictures for you: if you put a suggestion into the Pictotronic, after a short wait the illustrators living inside the cardboard house drew your picture! I've never seen anything quite like it before, it's brilliant!

Naturally I gravitated towards these delicious looking cupcakes! But I resisted... if you peek at the picture below you will realise why...


My new obsession is frozen yoghurt! I love the tartness of the flavour, and how well it goes with raspberries, one of my favourite fruits. At the Alternative Village Fete the very first thing I stumbled across was a little frozen yoghurt van. It was incredibly yummy! I went for my natural choice of rasberry fro yo, and Jenny went for blueberry. The fruit was blitzed in a blender then added to the frozen yoghurt machine and the flavour was amazing.

The raspberry frozen yoghurt

The wonderful Hot Potato Syncopators I thoroughly enjoyed the set by these dapper, utterly charming and amusing chaps! They played tunes straight from the 20's, 30's and 40's and the act comprised of ukeles, a tea-chest bass, musical saw, comedy moments, stage theatricals, acts of ear and eye defying balancing, bang bells, hooters and pop guns. The act was brilliant, thoroughly entertaining, and had the whole audience laughing. I enjoyed them so much I bought their CD that came with a fantastic little book with a "history of the band" and various bits and bobs in the Chap magazine style.... speaking of which...

...One stall was selling Chap Magazine

Overall, it was a totally enjoyable event, and if it is all repeated next year I will definitely be attending for some retro fun, and I suggest you all do the same!

1 comment:

cupcakejojo said...

Oh that looks like a fantastic day out! I wish I had know about it, I'm soooo jealous!!! Looks just delightful!! X