These are delicious layered cupcakes. The cupcakes are banana flavoured, and once cooked are sliced into three tiers with toffee and thinly sliced bananas inside, topped off with chocolate.
90g softened butter
110g brown sugar
75g plain flour
75g self-raising flour
1-2 overripe mashed bananas
2 tablespoons if milk
1/3 cup of cream
(optional) 1/2 tsp mixed spice
75g dark or milk chocolate
1/2 tin of condensed milk (for the toffee/caramel)
2. Beat the butter, sugar and eggs together in a medium mixing bowl. You can use an electric whisk, or by hand until the mixture is light an fluffy.
3. Sift the flour into the mixture, and mix together, along with the mashed banana, cream and milk.
4. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes depending on how large the cupcakes are. Then remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
5. Remove the cakes from their cases (very easy with the silicone cases! they just pop right out!)
6. Cut the cakes horizontally into three slices. Reconstruct the cakes layering the toffee and thinly sliced bananas in between the tiers.
7. Top the cupcakes with chocolate and if you like a few chocolate shavings.
Not only did we make the gorgeously indulgent banoffee cupcakes, we also made some marbled cupcakes with a basic cake mix which we split into two bowls, dyed one with a few drops of red food dye and the other half with cocoa powder. We then baked them in the oven for 15-20 minutes and topped half of them with chocolate ganache.
To finish off our baking-fest me and my sister made some cookies with a basic cookie dough but adding chocolate chunks and smarties. YUM! The only thing that remains is to find hordes of people to consume the massive amounts of baking we have done today.